Classroom Update – December 9, 2013
Miss Horvath’s Grade 1A
Hello everyone! I have a few important updates to share with everyone. I will put these updates on the blog, as well. We have a busy couple of weeks ahead of us filled with lots of fun activities including decorating cookies, a colouring contest, caroling and more! However, I will only be listing the special events/activities that require parent preparation.
1. Week of December 9: Family Celebrations & Traditions Presentations– Just a reminder that the presentations will be happening every day this week. Please be prepared with all of your materials on the day of the presentation. Do not worry about sending the materials before your presentation date.
2.Wednesday, December 11: Game Day with Mrs. Wittal’s Grade 1B Classroom – We will be spending the last hour of the day playing board games with the other Grade One classroom. Mrs. Wittal and I are asking all students to bring a board game of their choice to share with their classmates. We will be setting up the board games in both of our classrooms and in the hall. Students will be able to circulate and play many different board games with other Grade One students. I cannot wait to enjoy a fun afternoon with the students!
3. Thursday, December 12: MacNeill Cheer Team Cupcake Sale – Please help support our Cheer Team by bringing $2.00 to purchase a cupcake. Cupcakes will be sold at 10:30 and 2:15 recesses. I am proud to be a part of the Cheer Team and know that the girls and coaches would really appreciate the support!
4. Monday, December 16: Christmas Concert Rehearsal & Candy Cane Day – We will be having our Christmas Concert rehearsal in the morning. Instead of dressing up in our “Who” costumes, we will be dressing up as candy canes! You may wear red, white, green, or other striped combinations. There may even be candy canes for sale to support our Student Activity Council. I will be sure to include this as an agenda message once the sale has been confirmed.
5. Tuesday, December 17: Christmas Concert – Please send your child in his/her “Who” costume in the morning. I have already sent a note home describing how to dress your child for the Christmas Concert. I encourage everyone to be as creative as they can with the costumes as this will add a lot of visual interest to the performances. Please contact me if you do not have the note. We have a dress rehearsal scheduled for 9:00 a.m. so please make sure your child arrives at school on time. The afternoon performance will begin promptly at 1:15 p.m. The students will remain in the classroom until it is time for them to perform. The evening performance will begin at 6:30 p.m. but she school doors will not open until 6:00 p.m. Once in the school, please bring your child to our classroom and return to the gymnasium to be seated for the performance. I will supervise the students but expect them to all be ready (you may need to touch up the costume). We will not have time to do this after 6:00. Again, we will remain in the classroom until it is our time to perform. Once the performance is over please pick your students up as quickly as possible from the classroom.
I have video recorded the two songs that our classroom will be singing. I will be posting the video and song lyrics on the blog very soon so that students can practise at home.
6. Wednesday, December 18: Sparkle/Formal Day – Wear your favourite formal wear to watch the other half of the school perform the Christmas Concert. You may choose between wearing formal and/or sparkly clothing (and hair, makeup, etc.). Be as fancy, creative, or glittery as you would like! We will not be performing today – only the “B” classrooms.
7. Friday, December 20: Last Day before Holidays – The primary grades will spend the morning singing Christmas carols and dancing in the gym. Our MacNeill “Sock Hop” will be a fun way to dance and jump away some of our holiday excitement! The afternoon will be spent playing fun seasonal games and activities and sharing some delicious treats. Please remember that students will be dismissed early at 2:30 p.m.
My last reminder is that I may be sending home completed student work in folders within the next two weeks. If your child brings home this folder, please empty it and return the folder the next day to school. That is all the news that I have to share for now. I hope everyone is as excited as I am for all of the fun events that are quickly approaching!!
Warm wishes and Happy Holidays,